Monday, June 4, 2012

closed doors lead to open doors . . . I hope


Last week, Sara and I took the kids up to Six Flags in St. Louis.  It was a great trip.  The next day (last Friday) just as I was about to go back to work, my boss informed me that payday was not happening.  So, I told him I could no no longer work for him.  Amazingly, I got a call from another landscaping company within the hour and worked Friday and Saturday.  I believe I will also work a couple days with him this week.  It still remains to be seen how much work is possible with the new company, but it is something and I'm thankful.  Last week, Sara and I also settled on where we believe God has called us to serve in ministry in this season of our lives - City Church.  

I'm so longing to get back into working in my calling.  Of course I'll do whatever I have to do to provide for my family, but my heart is beginning to feel heavy not being able to work with people and help them find their place in God's Kingdom.  That's what I believe I was made to do - help people find their unique contribution they can make in God's Kingdom.  I love doing it and I'm really good at it.  For whatever reason, over the last few years, I cannot find a place or situation where that skill set can generate any kind of steady income for our family.  It's frustrating and disheartening, at times.

Some specific prayers I'm praying this week are:
  • Steady job in the short-run.  I'm asking God for a good, steady job that pays well to bridge the time until I can get back into vocational ministry.  It may be the one I just started.  I just don't know yet, so I'm still praying this prayer.
  • Get back to ministry being my job.  I did ministry as my full-time job for so long, I took for granted how much I loved it and how satisfying it is to me.  I'm asking God to make a way for me to be able to get back to ministry being my only job just as quickly as possible.  I'd be thrilled to even start with something part-time.
  • Divine opportunities to develop coaching relationships.  I am hoping and praying that a couple new pastors coaching groups will form this year through Summit Trek.  
To be able to facilitate a couple pastors coaching groups, do a little individual coaching and work as a staff pastor would be the best setup I could imagine.  I would be right in the middle of everything I love and have been gifted to do.  So, that's what I'm asking God for.  Thanks for praying with me.  I'd love to pray for you this week.  Let me know what's going on.

No comments: