Thursday, March 17, 2011

2 years later . . .

I almost missed it, but my wife Sara reminded me this morning. It was two years ago today that God spoke to me at a conference in Baltimore, MD to move back to Tulsa and plant a church that would be a hub for church planting in this part of the country. You can see the full story here if you have 15 minutes to kill.

As I write from my converted garage office in Tulsa, some things are as I expected, some are different. It's been six months since Freedom Valley Church opened its doors and we have seen some great things happen in people's lives.

But I think the greatest change and growth has happened in my family and I. Like every other church planter on earth, I had the vision of being the church plant that explodes in the first six months and all that good stuff. Well, that has not been our reality to date.

Don't get me wrong, our church is doing great. We're ministering to almost 100 people weekly, and we have an unbelievable team of volunteer leaders, but for all intents and purposes, we are an Up the Middle Church . . . and I'm good with that.

I believe we will be seeing some very healthy growth and some awesome, God-sized miracles, in 2011. But even if that is not the case, I am exactly where God has asked me to be and doing exactly what He has asked me to do. And that makes all the difference.

It's been a great 2 years. I can only imagine what God will do in the next 2 . . . and beyond.

2 comments:

Al Di Salvatore said...

I remember that day pretty clearly as well two years ago. Crazy journey huh. Love u j. I know u are doing great things for God. I would have loved to have you as a pastor, but I think a friend is just as good ;-)

Jason Fitch said...

Glad to be your friend dude!