Monday, February 23, 2009

simple church



I just finished a great one. Simple Church, by Thom S. Rainer, is a church systems book. I know those aren't always the most fun to read, but this just really connected with me. It seems to be just what we (the leadership team I work on at my church) need to be considering at this point. We're not clueless when it comes to this stuff. Much of it is intuitive to our system, but we could learn a great deal too.

In a nutshell, the book talks about a church "process" for making disciples that consists of these four elements.

1. Clarity
2. Alignment
3. Movement
4. Focus

Seems that most churches are either "simple" or "complex". Also seems that a great deal of research shows that, on the whole, simple churches thrive and complex churches do not.

If you're a church leader, especially one who works on the executive team at my church :), I'd encourage you to read this one as soon as you can.

No comments: