Monday, September 22, 2008

I love my sons

This is a straight copy and paste from my journal I keep as I read through the bible. I'd appreciate your prayers when you think of it.

1 Sam 8:1-5 - As Samuel grew old, he appointed his sons to be judges over Israel. 2 Joel and Abijah, his oldest sons, held court in Beersheba. 3 But they were not like their father, for they were greedy for money. They accepted bribes and perverted justice. 4 Finally, the leaders of Israel met at Ramah to discuss the matter with Samuel. 5 "Look," they told him, "you are now old, and your sons are not like you. Give us a king like all the other nations have."

I can see from the following passage that the reason that the Israelites really wanted a king was their heart-level rejection of God as their king, but this seems to say that the greediness and lack of character of Samuel's sons precipitated the whole thing. It seems like these men of God in the OT had a heck of a time raising sons with Godly character. Now, I'm not such a man of God, but one of my most intense desires is to raise Godly sons and be a great father to them. Lord, please help me.

No comments: