Friday, February 5, 2016

You And Me Forever

You and me forever.  Now that's a romantic thought.  It's also the title of the book I just finished this morning.  You and Me Forever, by Francis Chan and Lisa Chan is billed as a marriage book.  I'm not so sure.  I'm not saying it doesn't have some great nuggets of wisdom for marriage, but it's subtitle, 'marriage in light of eternity' would more accurately represent the book if it were 'life in light of eternity'.

Overall, I thought this book was good - maybe 3 stars out of 5.  There were some really strong points and then there were some long stretches - mostly the middle chapters - where Francis just goes on and on about how lazy American "Christians" are and how we need to get out there and be Christ to the people in our world.  He's right!  I agree, but you can only say the same thing so many times before it turns into an all-out rant.  I did almost put the book down, at one point, but I'm glad I didn't.  It finished up really strong.  Let me share some of the gold that's found inside.  There are a few ideas and quotes below.  I will also show you how you can get a free copy of the book!


The Secret to Happily Ever After:

"A strange thing happened when Lisa and I started living with an eternal lens; it caused us to enjoy the here and now!  Many people will tell you to focus on your marriage, focus on each other; but we discovered that focusing on God's mission made our marriage amazing!"

Marriage Isn't That Great:

"We all need to prioritize our eternal relationship with our Creator above all things.  Besides, until you relate properly to God, you won't be much help to anyone else.  People who aren't living well, make matters worse by living together."

What's Really Best For The Kids:

"A new thing is happening in the Christian Church in America.  Young people who see the worth in following Jesus are fighting resentment toward parents who lived lukewarm lives.  Parents who idolized their kids and expected praise in return are receiving the opposite.  These young adults are falling in love with Jesus, despite the example of their parents.  And some even try to respectfully rebuke their parents."

"Here's a question every parent should be asking.  What will break my heart more?  If my kids don't end up loving me?  Or if they don't end up loving Jesus?  Seriously contemplate that question."

This book is worth your time to read.  It's much more about living on mission as a Christian than it is about marriage or parenting.  But, it is worth saying that a Christian truly living on mission will experience the best of marriages and a more fulfilling relationship with their kids than those simply trying to live comfortably, keep the peace and raise good kids.  There is a much higher level of living - both now and eternally.

*You can get more information about this book and 
 about a free pdf download by clicking here.  


No comments: