Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Failed Church Planter - available for questions

Four years ago, as I was preparing to venture out to plant a church, I knew one thing for sure.  It was going to big and I was going to be a success.  I networked and talked to every successful church planter and leader who would give me the time.  Those times were helpful and I learned a lot.  No doubt about that.

But I always longed to spend some time with a "failed" church planter.  Someone who had done the work, walked the road and not seen the results.  I wanted to get some wisdom.  I wanted to hear the "If I had it to do it over, I would have done . . . " stories.  I wanted to meet with these guys, but it felt too cold and heartless to ask someone to share their failure (and pain, I guessed) with me.  

Well, I guess I'm one of those guys now, although I don't see myself as a failure in the least.  But I'd like to say that I have a big place in my heart for church planters.  I'd like to say to those thinking, praying and working to plant a church, I'm here to talk with you if that would be helpful.

That talk - talk about my big dreams and expectations and the reality that followed and how my story relates to yours - would not be painful for me.  Nor would it be filled with bitterness or frustration.  I'm not out to talk church planters out of their calling.  I still believe it's a great thing and absolutely necessary.

So, if it would help you or someone you know to talk with a "failed" church planter, pass this post on to them or look me up yourself.  I'm easy to find and I'd love to talk with you about my journey and yours.

No comments: