Friday, June 10, 2011

gladness in trials

You may feel like you're in some season of life that is not exactly what you want. I am too. I wanted to share my devotional journal from this morning. Perhaps what God is teaching me today will help you too . . .

June 10 – 1 Peter 1

"6 So be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a little while. 7 These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold—though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world."

Observation: Well, I feel like this season of my life is a trial. I am ok with it right now and I do clearly see how I'm being purified. I'm being broken of more pride and seeing how God is the One building our church, not me.

Application: I guess the application is the glad part. I have not yet gotten to the point of feeling glad about where I'm at . . . at least not fully, not on a regular basis. I still feel like I'm just biding my time until I can do what I really love, but I know that is an immature and shot-sighted view. I will consciously decide to be glad about the trial period I'm in.

Prayer: Lord, thank You for what You have called me to. Thank you for trials of many kinds. I decide today to not only patiently endure those trials, but to be glad about them. Father God, help me to stop looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. Where I am today is not punitive; it's a step on my journey and I will embrace and and engage this time and place in my life. I am a blessed man and I thank You for where You have placed me right now. I am glad to serve You. I am glad to live the life I am living this very day. Lord, please help my gladness and satisfaction grow. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: