Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Shining

Ever seen the old Stephen King Movie "The Shining"? Well, unfortunately, I have. If you know me, you know I hate horror movies, but I saw this one a few times before I was intelligent enough to decide to stop watching stuff that scared the begeebies out of me.

Anyway, last night as I'm falling asleep, this movie enters my thoughts. So I'm half asleep and thinking of this movie so I'm just creeped out - mostly from the kids in the movie (the two twin girls who had been murdered years before and the little boy who had "the shining"). So, like I usually do when I'm having a bad dream or if I'm in a half-sleep / half-dream state, I can get control of my thoughts and tell myself, "just wake up". So I did.

One problem. While I was getting all creeped out by these little kids (twins) in the dream, one of my twins had made his way into my room and was just standing by my bed in a half-asleep state himself. So, when I opened my eyes to be rid of the dream, this little boy is standing in front of me staring at me.

It's funny how quickly your body can move when you think you're in danger. I had my hands on his shoulders and was sitting up in way under a second. Funny thing is that he wasn't startled at all. I guess he was too sleepy. I put Colin back to bed and finally fell asleep myself.

Besides being pretty funny this morning, the moral of this story is that the stuff I take into my brain and spirit matters. I wish I didn't look at and listen to a whole bunch of stuff . . . but I have. No use crying over that, but at least I can do a much better job as the gatekeeper of my own mind and spirit now. A wise man once told me, "Never look at something you think you might want to forget."

4 comments:

Justin Osborne said...

OH-MY-GOSH.... I can not stop laughing. That has to be the best story I have heard yet. How ironic that Colin would be standing there when you woke up. I love it jFitch.

justin

Addison Roberts said...

dude i have one of these blog things now. that is a really funnty story

Big Woman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
john said...

The only thing that would have made this story funnier was if BOTH twins were staring at you in the middle of the night! Thanks for a good chuckle.

Big Woman (BW)