Saturday, January 5, 2008

Deadly Vipers

I'm reading this great new book called "Deadly Viper Character Assassins" by Jud Wilhite and Mike Foster. It chronicles 7 "assassins" who are gunning for us as leaders. This morning I read about the assassin of amped emotions. I was thinking, judging by the title of the chapter, that it was going to talk about how leaders make rash decision based on emotional excitement and all that stuff.

But the chapter opened with one of the authors retelling a story of when he just lost his cool at his 5-year-old daughter and punched hole in the wall. At the end of the episode, he was left asking himself, "Is this who I'm becoming?"

Well, that just about brought me to tears and I felt a sick feeling in my gut. You see, my knuckles are just beginning to heal from my sparring session with the kitchen wall a couple weeks ago. I'm asking myself the same question, "Is this who I'm becoming?" I'm also answering my question. "NO!"

2008 is not just a new year, it's a new start for me. 2007 was great and made great strides, but I also let some character assassins creep into my life last year as well. This year they are getting the smack down and I am determined to be a man who reflects God's heart much more than I ever have before.

I've copied my goals for 2008 below (it's an unfinished list - still in progress) for you to join me in prayer on them.

Goals for 2008


  • Spiritual

    • Build on my progress this year by . . .

      • Studying and understanding Revelation and SOS

      • Go on 2 personal prayer and meditation retreats (at least 6 hours)

      • Read at least 6 books this year that contribute to my spiritual growth

  • Family

    • Have another baby – scheduled for July 23!

    • Begin a regular schedule of a “date a month” with Sara and the kids

      • Sara and I alone

      • Kids can be in a group or alone – it can vary

  • Financial

    • Set up starter emergency fund ($1000)

    • pay off all debt, excluding the house

    • 3 months of expenses in an emergency fund

    • switch both IRAs to Roth

    • Set up a legal will

  • Physical

    • Increase my strength

      • Bench Press

        • 300lb by May 23

        • 315lb by Dec 15

      • Leg Press

        • 450lb by May 23

        • 500lb by Dec 15

    • Increase my cardiovascular fitness

      • Triathlon” time - 26 minutes by May 23

    • Lose the “spare tire” by May 23

    • Eating

      • make eating at night the exception rather than the rule

      • decide ahead of time to order what I should eat, not what I want to eat, at restaurants

  • Work

    • Be in a complete oversight and coaching role for all 3 facets of SM

    • Begin one new ministry or facet of ministry

    • Add 3 new significant team members this year (leaders of leaders, not just helpers to me)


1 comment:

Shawna said...

this is so inspiring, j. i'm going through and reading your blogs from beginning to end. you are honest and humble (which are basically synonyms i guess).