Thursday, September 8, 2016

How To Overcome The Victim Mentality (with a special bonus video)


Are you at all like me?  Do you click on these kinds of posts just so you can share it with your mother-in-law or your deadbeat brother or your spouse?  Maybe so.  But, before you copy this link and send it on to all those needy souls, pause a moment and consider yourself.

This past Sunday at Solace ChurchMatt Blair, delivered an especially powerful message entitled "The Victim Mentality". I tuned in right away and almost immediately was thinking of people I knew who could benefit from this Biblical and practical information.  Then it hit me.  I do this too.  I play the victim.  Not in all areas of my life, but I sure do it when it comes to my kids.  I do it when it comes to my wife.  I do it when it comes to my job, my past failures and even my future goals and dreams. How about you?  

For me, this was a wake-up call about Biblical truth and personal responsibility. Below are some bullet-pointed thoughts that can serve as a filter to help you identify where you might be in various areas of your life.  Read them through and use the filter.  Then take 30 minutes and watch the video of Matt delivering this message last Sunday. You can learn a ton from Matt.  He's not only my pastor and my boss, but he's my friend and one of the most fantastic leaders I know.  
The victim says . . .
  • "Someone else made me do it."
  • "It's not my fault."
  • "I couldn't help myself."
What's appealing about victim status?

  • I don't have to take responsibility.
  • I don't have to ask for forgiveness.
  • It gives me justification for my actions.
How does the victim think change will come?

  • If they stop treating me so poorly . . .
  • If my circumstances change.
  • If God will take this from me.
How change really comes . . . When we filter our circumstances, as challenging and unfair as they may be, through the reality of God's Word.

Watch this video.  If you need to put something else aside to watch it, do that.  It is worth your time.  Here's the bottom line. You and all those you love can get free from the victim mentality.  If you choose that freedom.  Get started.



No comments: