Friday, January 15, 2016

They set out to change the world . . . because it was easier than changing themselves.

Do you want to change the world?  Who doesn't?  At least who hasn't felt like that, at some season of life.  Given, there are distinct seasons of life.  You might be young and full of optimism.  You might be aging and feel beat down by life.  You might be in the the throes of the fight of your life and survival is the order of the day.  Believe me, I can identify, but be encouraged.  That season will pass and that vital optimism you had in your youth will return if you allow it.

Can I share something God has been teaching me lately?  And I hope this can be helpful to you today.  Changing the world is not a great goal.  Think about it.  If your focus is to change the world, all of your energy is focused outside of yourself.  How do I know?  I've been there.  I've done it. I've made the mistake.  Five years ago, I was in the middle of starting up the next world-changing church.  The truth is, that church didn't change the world much at all.  But it did cause me to put myself and my family aside for a very long season . . . all in the name of changing the world.  So, I can tell you, from first-hand experience, that's no way to live.

What if it's more important to change yourself?  What if all the would-be world changes are so passionate about their cause because it's easier to change the world than it is to change themselves?   Instead of looking at the rest of the world,  how about you look at yourself today? Are you growing?  Are you gaining victory over some dark part of your life? (we all have them) Are you caring for yourself and the few God has given you responsibility to care for?  The truth is, you're not responsible to change the world, but you are responsible to change yourself.  Has it occurred to you that a changed you will bring more change to your world than any grand vision you may set out on?

Here's the challenge I'll leave for you today.  What are you doing to change yourself?  If the answer to that question is intensely personal, I understand.  If it's not, why not share it in the comments section?  Whether you share it or not, I hope you'll take on the responsibility for answering the question today.  I wish you luck.

No comments: