Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Isn't Lent Just for Catholics?

Lord, let my focus be on YOU only.
I'll be totally honest.  I've never observed the season of Lent.  Lent is the 40 days (not including Sabbaths) prior to Easter.  I'm not sure why.  I've never known anyone who has and it's never felt important.  That's really a shame, because I've been surrounded by Christians most of my life - certainly my adult life.  Someone asked me yesterday why I would observe Lent.  Isn't it just for Catholics?  No, Lent is a time for anyone who knows Jesus, or wants to know Him, to focus on Him and create more space in your life for Him.

This year my family and I will observe Lent and will be fasting some things as we enter this season where we focus on the incredible sacrifice Jesus made to save us from our own hopeless state of sin.  I would really encourage you to observe Lent as well.  Sure, give something up, but don't stop there.  If that's all we do, it's just a robotic system that probably means very little.  In addition, make sure you read Scripture and meditate on it regularly.  Here are some great (and free) reading plans you could start today.

In addition to fasting and reading Scripture, make prayer an integral part to you life during this Lent and Easter Season.  Here is a cool idea if you need some help getting your prayer life on schedule.

Overall, I'd like to encourage you to begin now, 47 days prior to Easter, remembering and considering all Jesus did to save us all from sin and death.  I am praying that this season is the most powerful you've ever encountered.

3 comments:

Monk-in-Training said...


fast-pray-give
repentance-renewal-community.

these are the core ideas of Lent, we only do these things to know Christ and to make Him known to the world. A blessed and transformative Lent to you and your family!

Jason Fitch said...

Love it! Thanks JP! Love you and praying for you today.

Addison Roberts said...

Great Stuff Jason. You have encouraged me. I think I am going to do some of this stuff. I think i should probably fast sugary drinks and stuff like that but also pray more seriously and make a point to be more consistent in my reading