Saturday, December 11, 2010

Church planters. You want this!

Grounding. I've been in the world of church planting pretty heavily now for about 3 years. One as a coach and two as the guy planting the church. I've learn a ton of stuff and I hope to write more about it in the future, but one principle just hit me hard this morning. I didn't do any official research on this, but it seems to be pretty universal.

Church planters who are grounded at a solid church with a solid leader seem to be in better shape - especially in the early days of their church.

Alright, if you're launching your church in like a month, I know this doesn't help, but if you have some time before you launch and you feel like God can let you be flexible on that time frame, start praying and looking for a church and a leader you can solidly align your heart with. And serve them loyally.

This is not about them funding you, necessarily. It's just an intangible spiritual and emotional support that you will need as you get into your church-planting journey.

Remember, I'm only writing from my own limited experience, but the guys I meet who have been at a few churches in the last few years and have not solidly aligned themselves with a church, leaders or mentors struggle. And guys who have loyally served for years with the same church and same leaders seem more focused and better supported along the way.

I want to give a huge thanks to Gerry Stoltzfoos and Freedom Valley Worship Center for being that solid support to me! I love you guys.

No comments: