Tuesday, October 19, 2010

no human endeavor

I woke up early this morning and can't seem to get back to sleep. Looks like I have some extra time to read my Bible and pray. It seems like I have a million things on my mind.

We're about six weeks into the official existence of our church and it's both more rewarding and more difficult than I had anticipated. It's not that I didn't believe all the books I read and training I received prior to starting - they all told me the exact same thing. I think it's just something that I have to experience first-hand to truly understand.

I'm beginning to understand, on a deeper level, that this is not a human endeavor at all. There is more to this than just starting a church. The church is started. The challenge now is to build a church that will make a deep and lasting impact on the people of this city. That's a tall order and I would feel very overwhelmed with that . . . if it were up to me.

You see, it's not really up to me to make that happen. It's up to my God. He's the one who planted this idea in my heart. He's the one who assembled a team around me to get this far and He's the one who will continue to build His church. I laugh to myself when I think about the fact that He chose me as the leader of this thing. Me? I'm so weak. Maybe that's why. In my weakness, God's strength shows through all the more.

No, church-planting, as they call it, is no human endeavor at all. Whew . . .

No comments: