Wednesday, October 21, 2009

shipwreck


I Timothy 1:18 - 20 - Timothy, my son, here are my instructions for you, based on the prophetic words spoken about you earlier. May they help you fight well in the Lord’s battles. Cling to your faith in Christ, and keep your conscience clear. For some people have deliberately violated their consciences; as a result, their faith has been shipwrecked. Hymenaeus and Alexander are two examples. I threw them out and handed them over to Satan so they might learn not to blaspheme God.

Timothy was a young leader, a protege of Paul's if, if you will. That being the case, I read the letters to Timothy just like they are written to me personally. This little passage I copied above felt like it was written in neon lights as I read it this morning. How easily I could be in this spot. How easily the names that say Hymenaeus and Alexander could read Jason Fitch . . . and yours.

Lord, save me . . . save us . . . from thinking too much of ourselves today. Help us keep our hearts humble and our consciences clear that we would not shipwreck our faith. Your Word is precious, Lord. Thank you.

No comments: