Wednesday, July 8, 2009

prayer

Some excerpts from a book I"m currently reading . . . "Liberating Ministry from the Success Syndrome" by Kent and Barbara Hughes.

"Think of it this way. Our lives are like photographic plates and prayer is like a time exposure to God. As we expose ourselves to God for a half-hour, an hour, perhaps two hours a day, His image is imprinted more and more upon us. More and more we absorb the image of His character, His love, His wisdom, His way of dealing with life and people. As servants of Christ, that is what we need and that is what we receive from Him." ~ Kent Hughes

"Prayer is surrender. Surrender to the will of God and cooperation with that will. If I throw out a boat hook from a boat and catch hold of the shore and pull, do I pull the shore to me or do I pull myself to the shore? Prayer is not pulling God to my will, but the aligning of my will to the will of God." ~ E Stanley Jones

1 comment:

Alisa Rife said...

I love those. Very good. :) You should make me a book list. "Must reads". =]]