Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Of Saul, Jeff and David

1 Sam 13:7-14 - Meanwhile, Saul stayed at Gilgal, and his men were trembling with fear. 8 Saul waited there seven days for Samuel, as Samuel had instructed him earlier, but Samuel still didn't come. Saul realized that his troops were rapidly slipping away. 9 So he demanded, "Bring me the burnt offering and the peace offerings!" And Saul sacrificed the burnt offering himself. 10 Just as Saul was finishing with the burnt offering, Samuel arrived. Saul went out to meet and welcome him, 11 but Samuel said, "What is this you have done?"Saul replied, "I saw my men scattering from me, and you didn't arrive when you said you would, and the Philistines are at Micmash ready for battle. 12 So I said, 'The Philistines are ready to march against us, and I haven't even asked for the LORD's help!' So I felt obliged to offer the burnt offering myself before you came." 13 "How foolish!" Samuel exclaimed. "You have disobeyed the command of the LORD your God. Had you obeyed, the LORD would have established your kingdom over Israel forever. 14 But now your dynasty must end, for the LORD has sought out a man after his own heart. The LORD has already chosen him to be king over his people, for you have not obeyed the LORD's command."

I want to be a man of faith, a man after God's own heart. What Saul did probably looked like good leadership back then. However, the best leadership is being faithful to what God has spoken, not taking God's responsibilities and making them mine.

Yesterday, I listened to Jeff Leake's teaching he did at FV's catalyst meeting on March 17, which was the day God called me to go to Tulsa and plant the church, coincidentally. I was so challenged by the whole teaching, but the “moment of truth” was Jeff's statement, “All of us are either working for God or we're asking Him to work for us.” I've been guilty of asking God to work for me way too often. Lord, the only way I can do the things You've called me to do is if I am working for You. I recognize that I'm in way over my head and I'm glad to be, as long as I'm working for You.

By nature, I'm way too much like Saul, but by God's grace, I am becoming much more like David – a man after God's own heart.

No comments: